I am getting ready to head out on a trip and want to take some movies on the plane for the kids to watch on the iPad. I also plan on putting video on my phone and my wife’s iPhone.
There are a ton of applications and tutorials on the web that would like you to purchase a 30 dollar tool to do this. I have found that two free tools can work most of the time; DvdDecrypter and HandBrake.
First you need to decode the DVD to a local file. I recommend DVD decrypter (you may have to search for a good download – I won’t go into the reasons) Here is the location I used http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/
I set the file with these settings:
1. Select Mode from the menu then IFO.
2. Select Tools | Settings then select the IFO Mode tab. Change the drop down under Options | File Splitting to NONE.
3. Change the Stream Processing on the right Tab on the main menu. Select only the top Video file and the top Audio (only check two boxes) you don’t need the subtitles.
4. Now you can select the destination for the output file. Destination and browse for your folder. I use a folder called DVDrip.
5. Run the Decrypter. It may take 15 – 30 min depending on your computer.
You have now created one video file from the DVD a VOB file. You will use this file to convert the video into a format that will work on the iPhone or iPad.
Now you will use a tool called HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/)
This converts video into many formats.
1. Select the source VOB
2. Select your output destination
3. Select your new format from the right side. I chose iPhone & iPod touch
Then select Start.
Depending on the size of the video expect this to take anywhere from an 45 min to 2 hours. Once you are done you will have a Mp4 file that you can add to iTunes and view on your iphone / iPad
9 thoughts on “iPad video – Rip your DVD’s”
dvd to ipad converter can convert dvd to the ipad formats.
Nice article Jim – I agree Handbrake is the app to use for this 🙂
However instead of using the iPod/iPhone preset, I’d recommend creating your own preset specific to iPad… There are some settings over at http://www.zerosignal.co.uk/2010/05/convert-avi-dvd-wmv-to-mp4-videos-for-apple-ipad-using-handbrake
After reading the a post over at zerosignal I went ahead and made my own pre-sets. What a great addition, thanks.
HandBrake is very popular, but this is benefit from free. On the other hand, it is difficult to use for beginner, lack support and weak stability. HandBrake attend technology and ignore user experience.
DVD to ipad converter is ipad’s poweerful affiliated products. With it, iPad fans can convert HD movie to ipad with high quality and fast speed.
The guide is very clear. May people would like to enjoy their ipad.
Thanks for the review!
this software is awesome! I don’t have to buy from iTunes anymore, i can just transfer any DVD or video i want to my iPad.
thanks for the post. seems to be a good software. 😉
i was looking for such a program. thanks for the information.