I’ve been eyeing up different commuter bike options. I have to say that there are a lot of options. I think my criteria narrowed down to an upright position like a mountain bike but some features of a road bike. Similar to a hybrid. There are a lot of bikes out there labeled as commuters or urban bikes, however they seem to come with a higher price tag. The items that I think make most sense is a rugged bike that can hop curbs and I can ride on rough sidewalks (yes I said sidewalks).
I view a commuter bike as a device to get to and from different locations. Currently my commuter is a beat up old Schwinn, and I love it. I’ve used my Fuji road bike a few times to ride to work but I’m always afraid of running it off road and through the sidewalk / grass.
So far I have had my eyes on a few bikes. At first I thought that an internal gear was the way to go. At the moment I’m unsure. I really only use about 3 gears currently on the mountain bike but I’ve heard mixed reviews on the 8 and 11 speed internal gear bikes. I have have only had a chance to ride an older internal gear bike and was not too impressed. What I like about internal gear bikes is the ease of maintenance. Riding every day can cause some heavy maintenance. here is a list of a few bikes I’ve been evaluating. I’ve only ridden about half of them. Most of the local bike stores carry a different version or model similar to what I want.
- Raleigh Cadent i8: http://www.rei.com/
- Giant Seek City : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/
- Jamis Commuter 3: http://www.jamisbikes.com/
- Felt Veraza : http://www.feltbicycles.com/
- Trek 9th district: http://www.trekbikes.com/
- Cannondale Badboy 9: http://www.cannondale.com/
- Cannondale Quick 3: http://www.cannondale.com/
- Raleigh Misceo: http://www.raleighusa.com/
- At the moment I’m leaning at the Raleigh bikes. We will see. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.
3 thoughts on “Looking for a commuter bike”
I ride a Trek 7.2FX as a commuter bike and I love it. Log weight, durable, easy to maintain and fun to ride.
*edited* I ride a Trek 7.2FX a a commuter bike and I love it. Light weight, durable, easy to maintain and fun to ride.
How do you like the 7.2, is it a newer model. I stopped into the local bike shop and did ride one. Do you use panniers?